Monday, May 7, 2012

Meatballs

Do you have a "go to" meatball recipe? I do, and I'll share it with you. I love the good ole' ground beef in the spaghetti sauce, but meatballs just spice it up a bit! And they are fun. And they can be slightly messy. And they might roll off the table. But they are easy to make and can impress your dinner guests, in my case, my husband. 

I use 1 lb ground beef and it yields 12 good sized meatballs. I don't care for sausage, so I only use beef. If you want to get crazy, use half beef and half sausage or turkey. 

Here is what you need:
-1 lb organic ground beef (I think I used 80/20. You don't want them to be too lean or they won't hold together)
-1 egg, beaten
-1/4 cup chopped parsley
-1/4 cup shredded parmasaen cheese
-1/4 cup bread crumbs
-1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or a mix of rosemary, oregano, basil, ect.)
-salt and pepper, to taste



Preheat your oven to 350. Line a baking sheet, one with a lip around the edges, with foil. Spray a light coat of Pam or something similar on the foil. Do this step before your hands get all dirty. Set the pan next to the bowl you'll be using. I'm teaching you my short cuts people!

In a medium bowl, beat the egg with a fork. And the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix in the ground beef. Break it up with a fork. Then add the parsley, bread crumbs and cheese. If you can't get it all incorporated with the fork, use those hands!

 If you haven't used your hands yet, now is the time. Roll about 2-3 tbsp of meat mixture into a ball. Place on the lined baking sheet. Sorry, no photo. Just use your judgment on how big of a meatball you want. Do you want 30 small ones, or a couple big ones per serving? Your call.When your done making the meatballs, throw them in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until done in the center. 

Add them to spaghetti sauce and viola!


1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the dinner invitation. I wonder how long I would work in the basement without the dinner bell. Thank you and I hope we get to have dinner together again soon.

    ReplyDelete