Monday, April 9, 2012

Homemade Granola & Split Pea Soup

So I've already blogged once today, only I was signed in as Erin and accidentally posted it on his "Ecclesiastical Thought's" blog, lol about granola. We'll see if any of his seminary friends read his blog and are interested in granola. Also, it's a wasted effort on my part, boo! I got things to do!

Anyways, I will still tell you about the granola I made today. It is so good! I have been munching on it all day, hopefully there will be some left for Erin to try :)

I have really become obsessed with eating greek yoghurt, topped with honey and granola. Yum, yum, yum. However, all of those things are expensive :/ I'm pretty sure I won't be making my own greek yoghurt (maybe regular though!) or honey, so I will make my own granola then!

I already mentioned my girl Shaye from the Elliot Homestead blog, but this is her recipe and I followed it exactly. It cost me about $8 in ingredients that I bought in bulk from my natural foods co-op. It yielded roughly 8 cups of granola, holla! I usually spend about $4 for 2 cups :( The only downfall about this recipe is that it is not sprouted, but it is organic. So this girl is happy. Did I mention this takes about 10 minutes of active work and it bakes in 30 minutes? Sounds great to me.

Tray 1

Tray 2

Yum! It has oats, flax seed, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, buckwheat groats (what the heck are those??), coconut flakes, chopped pecans, and honey.

This was the state of my kitchen this morning, after I filled my dishwasher too! So many dishes from Easter and me hehe.

For Easter, I made a lot of food and took no pictures, boo. Here was the menu:

-French onion soup, topped with sliced baguettes and shredded Gruyere cheese
-Homemade soaked whole wheat biscuits
-Spiral sliced ham
-Scalloped potatoes
-Brussel Sprouts (they have such a bad reputation but are AMAZing)

After our guests left, Erin and I watched a movie. But really he watched it as I slept on the couch. It was a long day!

And for dinner tonight, I am making split pea soup! MMMM. Have you ever been to Anderson's Pea Soup in Santa Nella?  I love me some pea soup. So I'm making it tonight with the left over ham and ham bone. I soaked the split peas today for about 7 hours in some water with a little kefir. Now they are cookin away in the hot tub.

This is seriously my favorite pot ever. When the soup is done, I will take out the bone, use my immersion blender to blend the peas, shred the meat and add it back to the pot. Viola!

1 comment:

  1. That granola looks so yummy! And I feel the same way about brussel sprouts...no one seems to like them but our family thinks they are delish. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete